Where we are going....
Airfield has engaged Solearth Ecological Architects to work with us to help make our vision a reality. See "where we are going" for their design statement. .
Airfield Evolving ....
Airfield is a 35acre estate that has been open to the public since 1998, the former home of Letitia and Naomi Overend, the Estate however was never intended to deal with large numbers of visitors or to accommodate events and the stresses that this has caused on the built fabric and grounds of Airfield need to be addressed. Through investment in enhanced visitor facilities and the spatial reorganisation of these facilities it is intended that Airfield continues to maintain its role as an educational and restorative resource for the public.
Broadly the proposal objectives of the Airfield Trust are:
- To continue to provide a place that reconnects people and nature through the activities of farming and gardening
- To continue to engage the public through innovative, creative and authentic mediums
- To make the natural resources of Airfield accessible to all and enable the public to navigate the site more efficiently
- To enhance the visitor experience and continue to demonstrate a commitment to excellence and quality
In order to achieve these objectives the proposal looks at the provision of:
- An enhanced landscape and new interpretive schemes
- Structures and buildings that make a positive contribution to the ‘Airfield experience’ and retain the flexibility to adapt to changing needs
- A conservation policy that will strengthen the architectural character of the existing building stock in the context of the landscape
- Conservation of resources through sustainable and energy efficient design based on passive measures
- Continued integration of farm and garden activities into the visitor programme.